Why do we eat fast?
Eating fast isn’t usually a choice people make willingly. Aside from competitive eating as a spectator sport, which is a whole topic in and of itself, what are the reasons people eat so quickly?
- Time constraints – Eating on budgeted time at work or running late.
- Attention seeking – Commenting on people’s speed of eating a meal can quickly become a source of attention.
- Hunger domination – Feeling hunger, it can make sense to eat fast to satiate that feeling, though it does not.
- Distractions – Watching shows, working, discussing news, by not paying attention to food it can be easy to wolf down food.
- Processed foods – Most processed foods are designed to be eaten quickly, having removed fiber and added fats for an easy to chew and swallow meal.
- Large bites – Large-sized bites usually mean chewing enough to swallow one portion of the mouthful before the rest and then sometimes adding more food before all the food has been swallowed.
These are not easy habits to break, it requires planning, dedication, self-awareness, discipline, and making solid changes. Education and understanding choices are what can allow for these changes to be substantiated and followed through. Don’t hesitate to start back at Day 1 to get on the right track!