Fundamentals of Chewing
We chew for several reasons:
- to break down food so that it can be swallowed (then called bolus)
- to further the digestive process, mixing the food with saliva
- to aid the stomach in its function
How we chew can vary:
- pay attention to how you chew
- do you chew primarily on one side?
- are there any dental concerns that you need to take care of that will help you chew better?
- try chewing with both sides
- pay attention to the action of the tongue
- pay attention to the movement of your jaw
- pay attention to the speed at which you chew